The Unknown Vessel, text by Stephen Rowe
Illustration by Max Liebert, from Ludwig Fulda's Aladin und die Wunderlampe
(Aladdin in the Magic Garden)

Thursday, October 27, 2016

LETTING GO: Who was that Stranger?

I'm sixty-four these days and fading, but that’s ok, longtime Buddhist sensibilities have taught me acceptance, detachment, and contentedness. Still, I would like to explain for anyone who might someday be interested to know: Who was that Stranger??

But I have always been a far outlier, and don’t expect much creative/artistic appreciation or understanding - after all, not even Van Gogh found that in his lifetime. So be it. But maybe, just maybe you, dear reader, will engage and find something here of interest, or maybe even value?

In 1964 Simon and Garfunkel sang “And the sign said the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, and tenement halls, and whispered in the sound of silence…" Not claiming to have been a prophet, but I have struggled earnestly to shine whatever little light I was given, and it is here that you might someday encounter a Stranger's faint cyber-echoes, if you are quiet and listen...


No comments:

Post a Comment